Following the cancellation of Microsoft support for Visual FoxPro, everyone who owns this database management system faced the necessity of migrating data to a different platform as a result of safety and reliability. You will find numerous contemporary DBMS including Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL and PostgreSQL which can be another solution for FoxPro.
By layout FoxPro serves as a data storage without stored procedures, triggers, views as well as other sophisticated database objects. This fact permits it to transform FoxPro databases when compared to migration from another DBMS because it only entails moving the data. Nevertheless, whenever it is required to transform a large number of FoxPro tables, data migration gets difficult and tedious routine.
One more concern is that none of Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL and PostgreSQL databases is just like FoxPro. It implies that most applications managing old database has to be rewritten with a new programming tool and it needs vital efforts.
Therefore, what exactly is the best update path for FoxPro? In case you only need to move table definitions, data and indexes, consider PostgreSQL due to these advantages:
- PostgreSQL is free and even better it is open-source
- PostgreSQL is a cross platform DBMS available on all variations of Unix platform and on Windows
- PostgreSQL is a complex object-relational database management system having almost all possible features like subselects, transactions, user-defined types and many more
- unlike other DBMS, PostgreSQL and FoxPro have similar syntax for BOOLEAN type (‘t’ is TRUE and ‘f’ is FALSE)
If you require a comprehensive solution to convert FoxPro databases together with related applications to new platform, it takes another technique to the migration process. Specialists of Intelligent Converters, an organization focusing on database migration and synchronization since 2001, recommend to convert FoxPro to SQL Server as data storage with Microsoft Visual Studio .NET as application development framework. This process offers the benefits listed below:
- .NET is the most popular Microsoft product for software development being used by many high skilled professionals
- .NET can be used to develop both desktop and browser-based applications
- SQL Server is highly secure, reliable and scalable database system
- SQL Server is distributed under free license with basic features known as ‘Express Edition’ that is suitable for small businesses as well as paid version with maximum capacity known as ‘Enterprise Edition’ for huge corporate databases
Whichever DBMS you decide on as the target of FoxPro migration, Intelligent Converters offers strategies to migrate FoxPro data to each and every popular database management system.